Marc N. Conte
Department of Economics
441 East Fordham Rd
Bronx, NY 10458
Email: mconte7 "at" fordham.edu
I am an Assistant Professor in the Economics Department at Fordham University. Prior to my arrival at Fordham, I was a post-doctoral research fellow at Stanford University, where I worked with the Natural Capital Project. Before that, I had a visiting position at Williams College, while finishing my graduate studies at the Bren School of Environmental Science and Management, where I was advised by Christopher Costello as a trainee in the NSF-funded IGERT Economics and Environmental Sciences program.
My primary research interests relate to the economics of climate change and the provision of environmental public goods. I have explored the issue of environmental public good provision in the context of carbon offsets, charitable giving to conservation organizations, green energy programs, and payment for ecosystem services programs. The focal areas of my current research agenda are: 1) the causes and implications of fat-tailed damages from tropical cyclones for policy-makers, insurers, and households 2) conservation procurement auction design and resulting bidder behavior in payment for ecosystem services programs 3) mechanisms to increase environmental public-good provision. I pursue these issues using tools from applied microeconomics and experimental economics in collaboration with other economists and natural scientists in order to best appreciate the fundamental aspects of each issue.
I have always had an interest in land-use decisions in the context of pursuing more efficient levels of environmental public good provision. I continue to pursue research in this area as a Co-Principal Investigator and Co-Project Director of a USDA-funded project using lab and artefactual field experiments to explore how the design of conservation procurement auctions impacts auction performance and bidder behavior. I have previously led projects focused on the tradeoffs of land-use decisions for the United States Department of Defense, the State Legislature of Hawai'i, and provincial governments in Indonesia.
- Private Benefits of Conservation and Procurement Auction Performance (with R. Griffin)
- Auction Performance and Bidder Response to Quality Information and Conservation Action Choice in Multi-Round Conservation Procurement Auctions (with S. Banerjee)
- Causes and costs of the forest carbon edge effect: Evidence from Indonesia (with P. Shaw, A. Baccini, R. Sharp, and R. Chaplin-Kramer)
- Perceived Image, Social Comparison, and Charitable Giving: Evidence from a Field Experiment
- Adapting to Fat-Tailed Events: Insurer and Household Response to Hurricane Damages in Florida (with D. Kelly)
- Hurricane Damages, Income, Institutions, and Adaptation (with D. Kelly)
Select Peer-Reviewed Journals
- District Subdivision and the Location of Smallholder Forest Conversion in Sumatra.
with P. Shaw. 2017. Forthcoming in Land Economics.
- An Imperfect Storm: Fat-tailed tropical cyclone damages, insurance, and climate policy.
with D. Kelly. 2017. Forthcoming in Journal of Environmental Economics and Management.
- Quality Information and Procurement Auction Outcomes: Evidence from a Payment for Ecosystem Services Laboratory Experiment.
with R. Griffin. 2017. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 99(3): 571-591.
- When Do Voluntary Environmental Programs Succeed? Evidence from Green Electricity and All U.S. Utilities.
with G. Jacobsen. 2016. Energy Economics 60: 122-130.
- Valuation of Ecosystem Services to Inform Management of Multiple-Use Landscapes.
with S. Ma, J.M. Duggan, B.A. Eichelberger, B.W. McNally, J.R. Foster, E. Pepi, G.C. Daily, and G. Ziv. 2016. Ecosystem Services 19: 6-18.
- Ecosystem Services Reinforce Sumatran Tiger Conservation in Land Use Plans.
with N.K. Bhagabati, T. Ricketts, T. Sulistyawan, D. Ennaanay, O. Hadian, E. McKenzie, N. Olwero, A. Rosethal, H. Tallis, and S. Wolny. 2014. Biological Conservation 169: 147-156.
- Explaining the Price of Voluntary Carbon Offsets.
with M.J. Kotchen. 2010. Climate Change Economics, 1(2):19-38. (NBER Working Paper 15294)
- Projecting Global Land-Use Change and its Effect on Ecosystem Service Provision and Biodiversity with Simple Models.
with E.J. Nelson, H. Sander, P. Hawthorne, D. Ennaanay, S. Wolny, S. Manson, and S. Polasky. 2010. PLoS ONE, 5(12): 1-222.
- Valuing Ecosystem Services. In Encyclopedia of Biodiversity, 2nd Edition, edited by S. Levin. Princeton University Press. 2013
- Economics of biodiversity and ecosystem services. with C. Perrings, S. Baumgartner, W.A. Brock, K. Chopra, C. Costello, A.P. Kinzig, U. Pascual, S. Polasky, J. Tschirhart, and A. Xepapadeas. In Biodiversity, Ecosystem Functioning, and Human Wellbeing, edited by S. Naeem, D. Bunker, A. Hector, M. Loreau, and C. Perrings. Oxford University Press. 2009
The following chapters all appear in Natural Capital: Theory and Practice of Mapping Ecosystem Services, edited by G. Daily, P. Kareiva, T. Ricketts, H. Tallis, and S. Polasky. Oxford University Press. 2011.
- Terrestrial Carbon Sequestration and Storage. (lead author) with E. Nelson, K. Carney, C. Fissore, N. Olwero, A.J. Plantinga, B. Stanley, and T. Ricketts.
- Modeling Vegetative Retention of Nutrients and Sediment. (lead author) with D. Ennaanay, G. Mendoza, M.T. Walter, S. Wolny, and E. Nelson.
- Storm Peak Mitigation. with D. Ennaanay, G. Mendoza, B. Wickel, and S. Wolny.
- Modeling Water Supply for Hydropower and Irrigation. with G. Mendoza, D. Ennaanay, M.T. Walter, E. Nelson, S. Wolny, L. Hay, G. Nagle, and S. White.
- Timber and Non-Timber Forest Products. with E. Nelson, C. Montgomery, and S. Polasky.
- Modeling the Impacts of Climate Change on Ecosystem Services. with J. Lawler, E. Nelson, S.L. Shafer, D. Ennaanay, and H. Tallis.
- Incorporating Ecosystem Services in Decisions. with E. McKenzie, F. Irwin, J. Ranganathan, C. Hanson, C. Kousky, K. Bennett, J. Salzman, and J. Paavola.
- A Green Vision for Sumatra: Report to the Governments of Riau, Jambi, and Western Sumatra Provinces. with T. Barano, N. Bhagabati, D. Ennaanay, O. Hadian, E. McKenzie, N. Olwero, A. Rosenthal, Suparmoko, A. Shapiro, H. Tallis, and S. Wolny. 2011.
- The Emission-Reduction Potential of Native Forest Restoration in Hawaii: Report to the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Task Force (appointed by the Hawaii State Legislature). (lead author) with J.B. Friday, C. Giardina, J.S. Greenwell, and N. Hannahs. 2009. PDF